Contemporary Moral Issues Resource Center | Part 1
Part 1: Lecture Readings
Lecture 1: What is Ethical Theory I: Ethical theory, applied ethics, and public policy
Lecture 2: Ethical Theory Preliminaries II: Meta-ethics and Happiness
Lecture 3: Ethical Theories I: Ethical Egoism
- Reading #2: Wiki on moral hazard.
- Reading #3: Wiki on the principal/agent problem.
- Reading #4: Wiki on pork barrel spending.
- Reading #5: Shaw on public choice theory..
Lecture 4: Ethical Theory II: Utilitarianism
Lecture 5: Ethical Theories III: Â Kantianism
Lecture 6: Ethical Theories IV: Natural rights ethics
Lecture 7: Ethical Theories V: Virtue ethics
Lecture 8: Ethical Theories VII: Pluralistic Ethics (Rossian Theory)
Lecture 9: Death and Dying I: The Ethics of Euthanasia
- Reading #9: World rates of suicide;
- Reading #10: Suicide Facts;
- Reading #11: Wiki on religious views of suicide;
- Reading #12: Wiki on Dr. Kevorkian;
- Reading #13: Wii on Hippocratic Oath.
- Reading #14: Nazi eugenics.
Lecture 10: Death Dying II:Â The Ethics of Abortion
Lecture 11: Sex and Love I: Morality of Sexual Behavior
Lecture 12: Sex and Love II: Restrictions on Marriage
Lecture 13: Retributive Justice I: Capital Punishment
- Reading #19: ProCon.org on Capital punishment doesnâ€™t deter.
- Reading #20: The Conversation on capital punishment is no deterrent.
- Reading #21: Wesley Rowe: The death penalty is a deterrent.
- Reading #22: Rubin et. al. â€œDoes Capital Punishment have a Deterrence Effect?â€
Lecture 14: Distributive Justice I: Equality and Discrimination
- Reading #23: Anderson on race and anthropology.
- Reading #24: Ryan & Bauman on education levels in the US.
- Reading #25: Wiki on Chinese Exclusion Act.
- Reading #26: Wiki on Japanese Internment Camps.
Lecture 15: Distributive Justice II: The Ethics of Affirmative Action
- Reading #27: Wiki on affirmative action;
- Reading #28: ACLU Pros and Cons of AA;
- Reading #29: Vittana 12 Advantages and Disadvantages of AA.
Lecture 16: Distributive Justice III: Poverty and Inequality in America
- Reading #30: The Poverty of Poverty Statistics (Mises Institute);
- Reading #31: Pew Research Center â€œHow Americans Compare with the Global Middle Classâ€
Lecture 17: Political Philosophy I: Political Philosophy and Social Justice
- Reading #32: Marx on Alienated Labor;
- Reading #33: Wiki â€œCriticisms of Capitalismâ€;
- Reading #34: Wiki â€œCriticisms of Socialismâ€;
- Reading #35: Wiki on Ferdinand Tonnies;
- Reading #36: Wiki on Werner Sombart;
- Reading #37: Wiki â€œEconomics of Fascismâ€;
- Reading #38: Wiki on The Black Book of Communism;
Lecture 18: Political Philosophy II: Models of Liberal Democracy in Contemporary America
- Reading #39: Wiki on A Theory of Justiceâ€;
- Reading #40: Wiki on Libertarianism;
- Reading #41: Russell Kirk , â€œTen Conservative Principlesâ€;
Lecture 19: Political Philosophy III: Classical Liberalism Today
Lecture 20: The Ethics of International Relations I: Globalization and its Discontents
Lecture 21: The Ethics of International Relations II: The Ethics of Free Trade
Lecture 22: The Ethics of International Relations III: The Ethics of Immigration