Term Paper Grading Policies
- READ ASAP: ALL THE WRITING TUTORIALS ON MY WEBSITE TUTORIAL PAGE.
- When you quote even part of a sentence from a source, it needs a citation and quote marks;
- Number the pages;
- Papers are graded on a 100 point basis;
- Term papers should have a separate works cited page, which does NOT count as part of the minimum. You should consult at least four sources, 2 pro, 2 con….. You donâ€™t have to choose a term paper topic from my list, but if you come up with your own topic, I need to approve it.
- A lot of suggested term paper topics are listed on the appropriate course Resource Center on my website (see the bulletins tab). Also on that site: links to videos that give you a quick introduction to the topics.
- Read your paper aloud to a friend or family member, or have them read it–if they canâ€™t follow it, probably I canâ€™t, either;
- Turn on the spell and grammar checkers on your word processing program;
- Especially useful is Garammerly.com.
- Try to write direct, easy to comprehend, and well-structured prose;
- Clearly demarcate paragraphs by indentation (fives spaces or tab once);
- Avoid words you donâ€™t really understand. Donâ€™t try to impress me with big words.
- Avoid run-on sentences, i.e., keep sentences of short to medium length.
- Avoid overly long paragraphs;
- Remember to use Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com
- Below is a table of mistakes and points liable to be lost for them:
|Unapproved topic||-20 to -60 (if youÂ Â pick a topic upon which I have lectured, or was the topic of a short paper, or if the topic is not relevant to the class)|
|Disorganized||-5 to -15|
|Lack of citations||-5 to -10|
|No separate title page||-5|
|No separate works cited page/bibliography||-5|
|No research/literature search||-25 minimum|
|Only one source (Desjardins or Bastiat, say)||-5 to -15 (depending upon your ideas)|
|Tendentious/one-sided||-10 to -20|
|Style/grammar/spelling||-5 to -15|
|No quote marks (if Turnitin shows passage borrowed)||-10 if cited for every case
***If NOT cited, it is plagiarism
|Excessive unnecessary quotation||-5 to -15|
|No Turnitin check||Not accepted (recorded as zero)|
|Short of minimum||-5 for every quarter page|
- Below is a table of comment codes and what they mean:
|Mark/word||What it means|
|A checkmark ( âˆš )||Good point/argument|
|An “X”||Irrelevant/silly/patently false claim or argument|
|A â€œTâ€ followed by a checkmark at top of the paper||No plagiarism detected by Turnitin|
|â€œawkâ€||Your sentence is awkwardly phrased (try reading it aloud)|
|â€œunclâ€||Your sentence or paragraph is unclear|
|â€œwordâ€||Wrong word to use in that context (look it up)|
|Question mark||Statement is dubious, strange, contradictory, or out of place with the rest of the passage|
|â€œmeans?â€||What does this term/phrase/sentence mean?|
|“circ” (circular)||Question-begging language or argument|
|“straw” (strawman)||Distorting someone’s argument|