Bulletins–PH 120–Introduction to Ethics–Fall 2020–Mon, Weds 1:00-2:15 pm–ZOOM online
Short Paper #2: Bentham/Mill reading for PH120
Due Thursday 10/15/20 at 11:00 pm
Answer the following questions in 3-10 sentences each. DO NOT QUOTE, but only paraphrase in your own words. Do not copy the questions, just number, and separate your answers. Keep your paper to about 2 pages, double-spaced.
Read the Bentham reading in Johnson (pp. 208-217) and answer:
1. What does Bentham mean by the concept of “utility”?
2. What does Bentham think of terms like “the Nation”, “the State”, “the People”, or “the Community”?
3. What are the criteria for “valuing” (i.e., measuring the amount of) a pleasure or a pain? And what other circumstances must be taken into account to measure the pleasure of pain produced by an act.
Read the Mill reading in Johnson ((pp. 218-244) and answer:
4. In chapter II, how does Mill answer the charge that the doctrine that pleasure is the only desirable thing is in fact a doctrine that represents human nature in a degrading, swinish way?
5. How does Mill say that we can tell if one type of pleasure is superior to another?
6. What does Mill think a “life of happiness” would be like and what does he think holds most people back from attaining such a life?
FOR ALL SHORT PAPERS: the Turnitin enrollment key is PH120F2020, the class ID is 26230748. You submit the paper to Turnitin, then send the paper with the “class homepage” summary showing your name and a zero percent duplication score attached to it to me at ProfGaryJasonClass2@gmail.com.
Use that email ONLY for the short papers; all other questions and correspondence should go to my regular email.
Monday 8/24/2020 (the first four minutes are my waiting for people to log in)…lecture.
Wednesday 8/26/2020 (the lecture starts at 11:08 into the recording)…lecture.