Bulletins–PH 320–Contemporary Moral Issues–Spring 2020–TuTh 2:30-3:45 pm–Irvine Campus
1. Short paper #2 grades now posted.
2. TEST #2 WILL BE ON TUESDAY, April 14th, during the normal class lecture time.
2. Starting Tuesday, we will use Zoom to teach virtually. THE LINK ADDRESS IS: https://fullerton.zoom.us/j/450328947
2. NEW CHANGE (3/25/20): given the difficulties I am having transitioning to Titanium and checking attendance on Zoom, I have decided to just give everyone a 100% in attendance for the whole class. The score is now posted on Titanium.
3. FIRST CHANGE: going forward, on all papers, you will turn in the paper on Turnitin.com, then simply email me the Word document with the class homepage or other proof of zero duplication score pasted to the end of the paper. EMAIL ALL PAPERS TO ProfGaryJasonClass5@gmail.com, rather than my regular account.
4. SECOND CHANGE: Effective immediately, I won’t be seeing students in my office during office hours. Please only call me at the office number: 657-278-6744, or you can skype me.
5. For all three tests, you will need only three things: a Scantron form 882-E; a #2 pencil; and a clean eraser.
6. For all papers, the enrollment key is PH320Irv and the class id is 23660506. NOTE: the enrollment key is case sensitive: type “PH320Irv” not “PH320IRV”.
7. Note errata to review questions: set 1: #26 = “What is the introspection argument against psychological hedonism?”; #36 = “What is the justice argument against ethical egoism?”; #58 = “What is Aristotle’s doctrine of the Golden Mean?“; #69 = “How did Ross view the issue of whether some prima facie duties are more important or basic than others?. Set 3: #48 = “What is the demarcation problem for (traditionalist) conservativism?”.
8. TERM PAPER IS DUE THURSDAY APRIL 9th. Five pages, NOT COUNTING the works cited and title pages. All term papers must have a title page and a works-cited (bibliography) page.
9. PH 320—Short Paper #3: Civil Asset Forfeiture Due Friday 4/3 10:00 pm. YOU MUST ATTACH A CLASS HOMEPAGE OR OTHER TURNITIN PAGE SHOWING A ZERO DUPLICATION SCORE.
Read “Reverse Robin Hood” by Mary Kate Leahy, and answer in your own words (no quoting allowed) the following questions. Your answers should be 2-7 sentences per point—don’t just state, but explain briefly the points you make. You will be graded on the number of points you EXPLAIN. Minimum 2 pages, maximum 2½ pages, double-spaced, please. Don’t copy the questions, or put my name on it—it wastes space and shows up as duplication. Please print single-sided.
- What is “Civil Asset Forfeiture”?
- How does it differ from Criminal Asset Forfeiture?
- What makes it legal?
- How has it expanded recently?
- What was the original rationale for this practice?
- How much money is now being seized annually?
- What reasons does the article raise to suspect this practice is being abused? (NB: There are at least a half dozen reasons raised)
- How does Public Choice Theory explain these apparent abuses as being the obvious predictable consequences of this law?
- Thursday 3/26/20…Link.